Vein consultations detect vein disease and identify treatments for varicose veins and spider veins. Learn more from Surgical Specialists of Carolina.
Vein consultations play an important role in our overall health. They can confirm the presence and severity of vein disease, determine the most effective treatments for varicose veins, spider veins and reveal serious circulatory problems. Here are just a few facts about the prevalence of vein problems:
- Dangerous blood clots form in the leg veins of millions of Americans each year
- Blood clots can break loose and travel to the lungs, taking the lives of up to an estimated 180,000 Americans annually
- 10 to 35 percent of adults have leg veins that do not function properly
- Half a million Americans have ulcers in their legs caused by diseased veins
Screening for vein disease
A vein screening can determine your risk for developing vein disease. To begin the consultation, the doctor will ask you about any medication use and review your medical history. This helps identify possible risks associated with venous disease. An ultrasound examination may also be performed to detect possible blockages or congested areas within the veins. This part of the exam is critical because it helps physicians evaluate vein function.
Who should get a vein screening?
The American Venous Forum states that the risk factors of vein disease increase with the following characteristics:
- Advancing age
- Prior history of Deep Vein Thrombosis (blood clot in a deep vein)
- Family history of a DVT or Pulmonary Embolism
- Congestive heart failure
- Acute infection
- Cancer therapy
- Restricted mobility
- Intensive care admission
- Estrogen use, oral contraceptives
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Varicose veins
Advanced care for vein disease, varicose veins and spider veins
At Surgical Specialists of Carolina, helping you achieve and maintain optimal vein health goes hand-in-hand with delivering the aesthetic results that can restore your confidence. Dr. Mason is dedicated to offering the most advanced and comprehensive treatments for varicose veins, spider veins and vein disorders.